Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 3 hours 15 minutes
2 x 12cm lengths bone marrow, halved lengthways
1/3 cup coarsely chopped parsley
1 tbs finely grated lemon zest
Extra olive oil, to brush
1 tbs olive oil
5kg oxtail pieces, soaked
1 large onion, chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
250ml red wine
1 litre veal stock
10 black peppercorns
2 tbs brown sugar
3 sprigs fresh thyme
375ml lukewarm water
7g sachet dried yeast
1 tsp caster sugar
525g plain flour
1 tsp salt
Extra plain flour, for dusting
• Preheat oven to 170°C.
• To prepare oxtail, rub oxtail pieces all over with oil. Heat a large saucepan over medium high heat. Cook oxtail in batches until browned all over. Transfer to a large deep roasting dish.
• Add vegetables to same saucepan. Cook, stirring, until soft. Add wine and Madeira. Simmer until reduced by half. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Pour mixture over oxtail. Cover dish tightly with foil and place in the oven.
• Cook for about 3 hours or until meat is very tender.
• To make bread, combine water, yeast and sugar in a heatproof jug. Stand, covered, in a warm place for 15 minutes, or until frothy.
• Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Add yeast mixture. Mix to form dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl. Set aside, in a warm place, covered with a tea towel for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
• Punch air out of dough and turn onto a floured surface. Knead for 2-3 minutes or until it has returned to its original size. Shape into an oval loaf. Place on a lightly floured oven tray.
• Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through (when bread is cooked, the base will sound hollow when tapped). Cool on a wire rack.
• Increase oven to 200°C.
• Remove oxtail pieces from braising mixture and shred meat. Strain liquid into a saucepan and discard solids. Simmer until reduced and thickened to form a sauce. Stir in shredded meat.
• Brush bread slices with extra oil. Chargrill on both sides.
• Season bone marrow and place, cut side up, on an oven tray.
• Roast for about 15 minutes or until centre is just hot.
• Combine parsley and lemon zest in a bowl.
• To assemble, spoon shredded oxtail on top of bone marrow and top with parsley mixture. Serve with garlic bread.
Ask your butcher to halve the bone marrow lengthways for you.
Soak bone marrow overnight in cold water to remove blood and impurities.
This rich oxtail braise would freeze really well. Make a double batch and freeze half to eat later with mashed potatoes or soft polenta and steamed greens.
Allow yourself an indulgent pampering while you unwind in the tranquil setting that is Leopard Mountain Lodge.
Really experience Africa being professionally guided through Big5 territory, within a pristine endangered species reserve.
Join this intimate encounter with Rambo, Rachael and Jabulani, Learning about their history, enjoy touching and feeding these majestic giants.
Relax, unwind and rejuvenate under the African skies