125ml plain flour, sifted
125g chilled butter, chopped
2tbs icing sugar
1 egg yolk
1 cup sugar
6 cups chopped rhubarb
2 cups sliced apples
2 tsp grated lemon rind
3 pieces preserved ginger, sliced
2 tsp sugar
Extra sprinkle of cinnamon & icing sugar.
1. Place the flour, butter and icing sugar in a bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips until fine & crumbly.
2. Add the egg yolk and mix with a knife until the dough just comes together, adding a little chilled water if necessary.
3. Turn out into a lightly floured surface and gather together. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15minutes if very soft.
4. Preheat the oven to moderate hot 190 °C. Roll the pastry out to a 35cm circle and fit into a greased 20cm pie plate, leaving the pastry hanging over the edge. Chill while you make the filling.
5. Heat the sugar and water half in a pan for five minutes or until syrupy.
6. Add the rhubarb, apple, lemon rind and ginger, then cover and simmer for five minutes on until the rhubarb is cooked but still holds its shape.
7. Drain off the liquid and cool the rhubarb. Spoon into the pastry base and sprinkle with the extra sugar and the cinnamon. Fold the overhanging pastry roughly over the fruit and bake for 40minutes or until golden. Dust with icing sugar to serve. Delicious with ice cream or custard.